What are the best viewpoints in Athens?
Whether it's hills, rooftop bars or the roof terraces of upscale hotels and restaurants, Athens has quite a few panoramic lookout points.
Find out here which are the best ones of them all with our list of the 10 best viewpoints in Athens.
Other Recommended Articles:
Top-Rated Tours & Tickets for Athens
Book Top-Rated Tickets for the Best Attractions and Experiences in Athens - at the Lowest Price!
1. Lycabettus Hill
Lycabettus Hill is considered THE viewpoint of Athens par excellence. It measures 277 meters, making it the highest hill in the metropolis. It can be reached either on foot or by cable car. From the viewing platform you can enjoy a 360° panorama of the entire city area all the way to Piraeus. There is also a restaurant as well as cafes. The Lycabettus is a popular place for sunsets, which is why it can get very crowded.
The Acropolis is not only the most famous sight of Athens, it is also one of the best viewpoints of the city. Therefore, when you visit the impressive ruins from ancient times, be sure to pause and also admire the breathtaking panoramic view from the ancient upper city.
There is a viewing platform on the wall that offers a view of the Agora, the old quarter of Monastiraki and Panathinaiko Stadium.
- Learn all about the history and sights in the Acropolis, as well as useful details about tickets and tours in our dedicated guide about the Acropolis.
Popular Ticket Options:
- Acropolis & Parthenon Skip-The-Ticket-Line Entry and Audio Guide
- Acropolis and 6 Archaeological Sites Combo Ticket (Bestseller)
- Acropolis and Mythology Highlights Small Group Tour
- Acropolis and Parthenon Guided Walking Tour
- Acropolis, Olympian Zeus & Ancient Agora: Guided Tour Only
- Acropolis & Archaeological Sites + Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour
- Acropolis Museum + Athens Acropolis & Parthenon Ticket (Recommended)
3. Filopappou Hill
If you want to enjoy the best view of the Acropolis, you should visit Filopappou Hill. Since the 147-meter high Filopappou is close to the Acropolis, you are at the ideal location to gaze at the famous landmark of Athens. Another advantage is that there are fewer crowds of tourists here. Another highlight are the attractions on the hill, such as the ancient Philopappos Monument and the prison of Socrates.
- For more information about the hill's highlights, directions, and more, visit our dedicated page about Filopappou Hill.
If you climb the 115-meter-high
5. A for Athens Rooftop Bar
In the heart of the city, more precisely in the lively Monastiraki Square, there are quite a few rooftop bars that entice with their views. One rooftop terrace, however, clearly stands out among the others, namely "A for Athens". The rooftop bar of the hotel of the same name offers refreshing cocktails until the early morning with a view of the Acropolis from the heart of the city.
6. Galaxy Restaurant Bar
The Hilton Hotel is crowned by the stylish Galaxy Restaurant Bar, named one of the 10 best rooftop bars in the world. There is a bar as well as a restaurant on the rooftop terrace that tempts with authentic Mediterranean specialties, good wines as well as delicious cocktails. With hip music and a good atmosphere, you can enjoy a 360° panoramic view of the Acropolis and the rooftops of the city.
7. Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC)
- Learn more about this institution in our complete guide about Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center.
8. Bios Rooftop Bar
Another rooftop bar that stands out among the many Athens bars is "Bios". Located in the Kerameikos neighborhood not far from the Technopolis, the rooftop bar offers an impressive view of the illuminated Parthenon, the Acropolis and Lycabettus Hill, especially at night. A hip design and good cocktails sweeten the view.
9. Acropolis Museum
A unique view awaits visitors who visit the Acropolis Museum restaurant. It is located on the 2nd floor and overlooks the Acropolis. It is an exceptional place to experience the UNESCO World Heritage Site while enjoying a glass of wine and a delicious dinner or lunch.
Popular Ticket Options:
- Acropolis Museum + Athens Acropolis & Parthenon Ticket
- Acropolis, Parthenon & Acropolis Museum Guided Tour
- Skip-the-Line Athens Acropolis Museum Tickets + Optional Audio Guide
- Acropolis Museum + Acropolis Tickets
- Skip the Line Acropolis Museum & Athens City Tour
- Acropolis, Parthenon & Acropolis Museum: Ancient Athens Guided Tour
- Athens Pass (Recommended)
10. Strefi Hill
In the middle of the alternative trendy neighborhood of Exarchia is Strefi Hill. Away from the crowds and the hustle and bustle of the city, here you have the whole of Athens under your feet. A beautiful and peaceful place to reflect on the impressions of the day. Occasionally, summer parties of locals take place on the hill. However, the climb is advisable only during the day.
Map with Locations
August 24, 2023
August 3, 2023