Piraeus is located about 10 kilometers south of the city center of Athens.
Each year, the Cruise Port Piraeus handles 20 million passengers, making it the largest port in Greece and the largest passenger port in Europe.
In this guide, we'll introduce you to the Cruise Port Piraeus and give you helpful information about the terminals, the ferry routes and timetable, access and more.
Let's begin with the best things to do!
Other Recommended Articles:
Top-Rated Tours & Tickets for Athens
Book Top-Rated Tickets for the Best Attractions and Experiences in Athens - at the Lowest Price!
Best Things to do in Piraeus Cruise Port
Wondering what to do at Piraeus Cruise Port? Here is a list of activities to make the most of your visit:
- Hop on Hop Off Tour: Explore the beautiful port of Piraeus at your own pace during a Hop-On Hop-Off Tour! With one single ticket, you can discover Piraeus, Athens, and the Athenian Riviera.
Book here for a seamless experience!
- Explore the Archaeological Museum of Piraeus: Go to the center of Piraeus and gain insight into the cities maritime legacy and historical significance by exploring the interesting collection. More: Archaeological Museum of Piraeus
- Visit Agistri Island: Embark on a delightful ferry journey from Piraeus to the enchanting Agistri Island, where you can unwind on its pristine beaches. Book your ferry ticket online in advance or opt for a guided boat tour to make the most of your island adventure.
- Go Island Hopping: From Piraeus, embark on a fun island-hopping cruise and explore the gems of the Saronic Gulf. Book here a guided tour from Piraeus and discover hassle-free the charm of islands like Aegina, Moni and Agistri.
- See the Highlights of Athens: If you are arriving from a cruise ship and have limited time to see Athens, then you may want to consider booking a transfer to the city center to get there faster. A more stress-free alternative is
booking a guided tour to see the best of Athens, including the Acropolis and round trip transfer from the Port of Piraeus and back.
- Sample Local Food: Piraeus, with its seafront location, offers numerous restaurants serving delicious Greek cuisine centered around fresh fish and seafood. For an authentic culinary experience, book the 3.5-hour Piraeus Food Walking Tour, where you'll savor local tastings while exploring the city's lesser-known areas.
Read more: 10 Things To Do in Piraeus near Athens
Description of Piraeus Cruise Port
The port has approximately a U-shape, the sides of which are several kilometers long. The entrance gates to the port are numbered from E1 to E12. Gate E1 is located in the northwestern part of the port, while gate E12 is located in the very south. Around the port area runs a multi-lane road, over which a modern pedestrian bridge equipped with escalators leads to the metro station across the street.
Piers of Piraeus Cruise Port
There are a total of 12 departure and arrival gates in the Port of Piraeus; ferries to the
There are three cruise port terminals, a total of 11 cruise ships can dock at the port of Piraeus simultaneously. All cruise terminals are air-conditioned, offer free Wi-Fi and have duty-free stores. Passport and customs checks are handled at each terminal.
1. Terminal A Miaoulis
Terminal A Miaoulis is the main terminal, with most cruise ships docking here. Of all three terminals, Terminal A is closest to Piraeus city center.
36 check-in counters spread over 6 halls can handle up to 1,200 passengers per hour.
2. Terminal B Themistocles
Terminal B Themistocles was completed in 2013. It has 2 berths where even very large ships with 4,500 passengers or more can dock. It mainly handles cruise ships whose voyage starts in Athens.
3. Terminal C Alkimos
Terminal C Alkimos was built back in 2003 and was thoroughly renovated in 2016. However, due to its tent-like construction, it always seems a bit improvised.
The terminal has 20 check-in counters that can handle up to 700 passengers per hour.
Piraeus Cruise Port: Good to know
- Shuttle Bus Within the Port: Within the port, there is a free shuttle bus that connects Gate E7 with Gates E1, E2 and E3 depending on the arrival and departure of ships. The bus runs every 20 minutes.
- Piraeus Metro Station: The Piraeus Metro Station is located at Gate E7, and the shuttle bus departs directly across the street.
- Port Police: The Port Police can be found near Gate E8.
Timetable with Arrivals and Departures
For the current arrival and departure times of the ferries, please refer to the website of the respective provider.
- Information about cruise ships calling at Piraeus can be found
at this link.
The major ferry companies in Greece include Blue Star Ferries, SeaJets, Aegean Speedlines, Ionian Group, Golden Star Ferries, ANEK Lines and Minoan Lines to name a few.
Greece has about 200 inhabited islands and there are ferry connections to many of them. Many islands are served from Piraeus. The best known of these are Crete, Lesvos, Samos and the islands in the Saronic Gulf.
Ferries to Crete depart from gates E2 and E3, those to Samos from E9 and E10, and those to the Cyclades from gates E6 and E7.
- More details can be found on our page:
Ferries and Ferry Ports near Athens: Piraeus, Rafina & Lavrion.
Tickets for the Ferries traveling from/to the Port of Piraeus
You'll find 10 ticket offices in the port area selling tickets for all ferries. Most of these offices are conveniently located at gate E7 and E8.
Additionally, you have the option to purchase some ferry tickets online in advance, saving you from standing in line or missing your desired ferry.
Popular Ferry Ticket Options:
Public Transportation to the Port of Piraeus
- Metro: Line 1, marked in green, goes to the port of Piraeus. Piraeus is the only one of the three ports in Athens that can be reached by metro. The Piraeus stop is the terminal stop, from here the metro continues through the center of Athens, stopping at Omonoia Square, to Kifissia. In Athens, the metro lines run between 5:30 in the morning and midnight.
- Bus: Bus line 049 goes to Piraeus from Omonoia Square and line 040 from Syntagma. The bus stop is in the center of Piraeus and is called Kotziaplatz. From there it is about 10 minutes walk to the port.
- Suburban Train: In Greek, the suburban train is called Proastiakos. Line 1203 runs from Athens Larisa main station to Piraeus. The trip takes about 20 minutes. The same line also goes to Athens airport.
- Transfer: As an alternative to public transport, consider booking a hassle-free transfer service to travel to/from Piraeus Port and your hotel in Athens city center.
Secure your spot in advance for a worry-free journey!
- Taxi: From the center of Athens, a taxi ride to Piraeus takes about 30 minutes, depending on traffic. The price is about 25 euros during the day and 45 euros at night.
Transfer to Eleftherios Venizelos Airport
You have several options to get from the cruise port of Piraeus to the airport in Athens and vice versa:
- By Airport Transfer: The most convenient option to get to Athens Airport is by a reliable Athens Airport transfer to/from Piraeus. The journey lasts around 1 hour. Book here!
- By Airport Bus: Airport bus X96 runs around the clock from the airport to Piraeus and vice versa. The journey time is about 90 minutes. During the day, the buses run every 20 minutes, and between 22:30 in the evening and 5:00 in the morning, they run every 40 minutes.
- By Taxi: The taxi ride from Piraeus to the airport is charged at a flat rate, 54,-- Euro during the day and 70,-- Euro at night.
Book a taxi transfer online in advance!
Hop On Hop Off Tour
There are three providers of Hop-On Hop-Off tours for Piraeus and Athens, with buses of different colors. Most of the time, the buses wait near the cruise terminals when a ship docks.
As it can get very crowded during high season, it is recommended to purchase tickets online in advance.
Popular Ticket Options:
There are taxi stops near almost all gates within the port.
The basic taxi fee is 1.29 euros, and the price per kilometer is 0.74 euros. For standing and waiting time, 11.81 euros per hour is charged.
Between 24:00 and 5:00 the night tariff applies. The basic charge here is also 1.29 euros, but the price per kilometer is 1.29 euros.
Both in the port of Piraeus and in the immediate vicinity are numerous car rental providers available, including Sixt, Budget, Alma and Avis to name a few. Of course, you can book your rental car online in advance. The vehicle will then be at your disposal immediately upon arrival.
There are numerous ATMs within the port of Piraeus. Most are located at Gate E3, between Gate E5 and E6, at Gate E7, E8 and E9 and at Gate E11.
Food, Restaurants and Cafes
The gastronomic offer at the Port of Piraeus is very wide. Both in the port and in the immediate vicinity there are numerous restaurants, cafes and snack bars in all price ranges. Seafood and fish are often offered, the price level is as high as the offered view of the harbor. The localities within the harbor often have a daring price-performance ratio.
Shopping, Stores and Businesses
In the immediate vicinity and around the harbor there are countless stores, stores and shopping opportunities. In the port area itself, there are smaller souvenir stores, especially near the cruise terminals.
Parking and Parking Garage
There are numerous parking facilities in the immediate vicinity of the port. It is allowed to enter and drive around the port by car, even short stops are allowed. There is a 130-space parking lot in the harbor area between gates E7 and E8.
Although the harbor area is fenced, the harbor is open 24 hours a day, numerous entrances are open day and night.
Free Wi-Fi is usually offered at each gate and in front of it. The cruise terminals all offer free Wi-Fi.
Hotels at Piraeus Cruise Port
Within the vicinity of the port and in the town of Piraeus, you'll find a wide selection of hotels, guesthouses, and bed & breakfast accommodations catering to various price ranges.
However, it's essential to note that some accommodations near the port may be overpriced and not consistently well-maintained and clean.
We have listed below three recommendations for each category: luxury, midrange, and budget. Feel free to click the link to benefit from the best deals.
1. Luxury Choice: Piraeus Theoxenia Hotel
Piraeus Theoxenia Hotel, the only 5-star deluxe hotel in Piraeus, offers a boutique charm, fine dining, gym, and conference facilities. With 76 spacious rooms and suites, it's conveniently located near the main port and shopping area. Don't miss the top-floor pool and Jacuzzi whirlpool, with stunning views of the lively port.
- This Hotel Is For: Couples, Families, Honeymooners, Groups, Solo Travelers, Business Trips
- Price Range: High
- Address: 23, Karaoli ke Dimitriou Street, Piraeus 185 31, Greece
- How To Book Online: On
2. Midrange Choice: The Port Square Hotel
A luxurious and stylish 4-star hotel right on the port of Piraeus, just 20 meters from the new metro and train station. Ideal for ferry travelers and explorers alike, guests can savor culinary delights at the hotel's restaurant-bar and explore nearby shops and eateries. Business travelers will appreciate the meeting room, while leisure travelers will love the proximity to Votsalakia Beach, just 2.1 km away.
- This Hotel Is For: Families, Couples, Business Trips, Solo Travelers,
- Price Range: Medium
- Address: Geor. Kasimati 6, Piraeus 185 31, Greece
- How To Book Online: On
3. Budget Chocie: Gallery Suites & Residences
Gallery Suites & Residences offers modern comfort and a homey ambiance. Situated in the heart of Piraeus, it provides bright units of different categories, some with stunning city views. Designed for modern travelers, the hotel features amenities like a business center, sauna, terrace, and a paid airport shuttle service to Athens Airport (41 km away).
- This Hotel Is For: Couples, Business Trips, Families, Solo Travelers
- Price Range: Low
- Address: Kapodistriou 26, Piraeus 185 31, Greece
- How To Book Online: On
Rent a Bus at the Port of Piraeus
We will be happy to help you rent buses for all occasions, be it for group trips, company outings, class trips, events or otherwise.
Seminar Rooms and Conference Hotels
We will be glad to assist you in renting seminar rooms for your events or in choosing your conference hotel that will exactly meet your expectations and demands.