Are you thinking about visiting Athens, but aren't sure if you'll need a Greek SIM card? Then you are at the right address!
This thorough guide will teach you all you need to know about the best SIM card in Greece for tourists. We'll explain if you need a Greek SIM card for your vacation in Athens, where you can get one, and how much it costs.
Furthermore, we will introduce you to the various mobile providers in Greece, address commonly asked concerns, and introduce alternate methods of purchasing a SIM card, such as e-SIM cards.
Read on to get the best possible experience out of your vacation to Athens!
Other Recommended Articles:
Top-Rated Tours & Tickets for Athens
Book Top-Rated Tickets for the Best Attractions and Experiences in Athens - at the Lowest Price!
Is a Greek SIM card truly necessary for my Athens vacation?
First, we'd like to address one of the most critical points: whether you even need a Greek SIM card for your planned trip to Athens.
- If you are from Europe, you should not need to purchase a Greek SIM card because roaming throughout the EU (and the European Economic Area) has been free since 2017. This implies that in most circumstances, you may use your existing SIM card in Greece without incurring additional charges. However, your provider may have limits on international use, which you should verify to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- However, if you are not from Europe and are visiting from the United States or another area of the world, obtaining a SIM card in Greece to avoid costly international roaming charges makes a lot of sense. Buying a local SIM card ensures that your mobile data connections are trustworthy, safe, and fast throughout your Athens holiday, allowing you to converse simply.
Get your SIM card for Greece online before your vacation
Another possibility is to use e-SIM cards. These are virtual SIM cards that may be activated on your smartphone instead of an actual SIM card. We recommend the practical Holafly eSIM card with limitless mobile data volume at 4G/LTE speed.
Activating the Holafly e-SIM card is simple and can be done at home in a matter of minutes. There's no need to spend time looking for a real SIM card or deciding which cellular provider is ideal for you.
Now let's take a look at the prices and conditions of this eSIM card:
This is how Holafly's eSIM card works:
- Choose a data plan from the options and purchase the Holafly prepaid e-SIM card here.
- You will be emailed a QR code containing the e-SIM card right away.
- One day before your trip, scan this QR code.
- Turn off cellular data from your local wireless service provider.
- Set your phone's options so that your phone uses Holafly's mobile internet.
- When you arrive in Greece, activate your QR code, enable data roaming in your phone's settings, and use your Holafly eSIM card during your stay in Greece.
Please note: Please check that your phone is unlocked and compatible with the Holafly service before purchasing your Holafly eSIM card. A list of compatible devices is available here: From iPhone XS, XR and newer models; Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Fold, Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and other new models; Huawei P40, P40 Pro, Huawei Mate 40 Pro and newer models; Google Pixel 3, 3a (some versions do not support eSIM), Google Pixel 4, 4 XL, 4a, 5 and later models; Oppo Find X3 Pro, Oppo Reno 5A, Motorola (2019) and the Motorola Razr 5G (dual SIM).
Here is another way to check the compatibility of your mobile phone:
→ For Android devices, navigate to "Connections" > "SIM card manager" in the settings menu. If you can add a mobile plan, this means your smartphone supports eSIMs.
→ For iOS devices, open Settings and go to "Cellular Data" or "Cellular Plan". If you see "Add a Cellular Plan" or "Add a Data Plan" this suggests your iPhone supports eSIMs.
Prices for Holafly eSIM are listed below. The most popular deals are highlighted in red.
- 5 days of unlimited data in Greece (approx. €19)
- 7 days of unlimited data in Greece (approx. €27)
- 10 days of unlimited data in Greece (approx. €34)
- 15 days of unlimited data in Greece (approx. €47)
- 20 days of unlimited data in Greece approx. €57)
- 30 days of unlimited data in Greece (approx. €69)
- 60 days of unlimited data in Greece (approx. €87)
- 90 days of unlimited data in Greece (approx. €99)
Click on the button below for more information and to benefit from a 5% discount:
Renting a mobile Wi-Fi device for your stay in Greece is another reasonable option. With this portable gadget, you may connect various devices such as cellphones, tablets, and laptops to the Internet at any time and from any location.
The 4G/LTE network extends to Greece and other EU nations, allowing you to surf as if you were at home.
The renting procedure is simple:
- Reserve the Pocket WLAN device using this link.
- Have it delivered to any address in Athens of your choice, including your hotel.
- During your travel, use the device according to the directions provided.
- Before leaving, return the device by packing it in the pre-paid, self-addressed envelope and mailing it as instructed.
As a result, you will always have consistent internet connectivity during your vacation in Greece. Click on the button link for further information on the tariffs and terms:
Where can I buy my Greek SIM card in Athens?
1. In the city
All over the city, there are a number of ways to buy a Greek prepaid SIM card. You can go directly to the branch offices of mobile phone providers such as Cosmote, Vodafone or Nova. You can usually find these shops on busy streets, train stations and in shopping malls.
Alternatively, each of the three providers has dozens of locations around the country where you can easily purchase a new Greek SIM card, available in the Germanos retail chain, which has locations across central Athens, including Syntagma Square and Plaka.
2. At Athens Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport
Tourists arriving by plane can also buy a prepaid SIM card for the Greece at Eleftherios Venizelos Airport. However, we do not recommend this option as the choice is very limited.
- Buying a sim card at Athens Airport is much more expensive, and it is better to wait until you get to the city.
- There is currently only one Vodafone shop at Eleftherios Venizelos Airport.
- From the Vodafone vendors you get 4 GB data and a lot of calling minutes for all over Europe for €10.
Tip: If you want to use a SIM card as soon as you arrive in Greece, you should consider purchasing an eSIM card for Greece in advance.
Also, Greek sim cards are not the best for traveling onwards in Europe.
What do I need to buy a prepaid SIM card in Greece?
Unlike in other European countries, buying a prepaid SIM card in Greece is simple, with no paperwork or registration costs.
All you need is a mobile phone that has been unlocked. A photo ID, such as a passport, ID card, or driver's license, may be required in some instances.
The mobile phone providers in Greece at a glance
- In Greece, there are various mobile phone operators offering a variety of pricing and services. The three main ones are Cosmote, Nova, Vodafone
- All three major mobile operators offer 5G speeds except Vodafone. Vodafone offers 4.5 LTE services.
- Cosmote is Greece's leading mobile operator, followed by Nova and Vodafone.
Cost of buying a prepaid SIM card in Greece for tourists
Below you will find the best offers for Greek prepaid SIM cards, which in our opinion are the most interesting for tourists.
- 10 GB Data use, for 30 days: 10€
- 200 GB Data of 30 days: 25€
- 200 GB Data for 365 days: 80€
Tip: Don't forget that when you renew your balance more than twice within a month, you get 1 GB for 10 days!
For more information and current rates, please visit the Cosmote's Website.
- 25 GB of data use, 200 minutes to all national calls for 20 days: 20€
- Unlimited Data, 200 minutes to all national calls for 30 days: 30€
Visit the Vodafone offical website for the latest prices and more information.
- 10 GB Data use, for 30 days: 10€
- 15 GB Data of 60 days: 15€
- 30 GB Data for 60 days: 25€
More details about the prepaid card and the different tariffs can be found on the Nova's official website.
Our opinion on the best SIM card in Greece for Tourists
We believe that Holafly's eSIM card is the finest option for a prepaid SIM card in Greece.Most Greek prepaid SIM cards only provide a limited quantity of data, wheras Holafly's eSIM card provides a diverse selection of rates at a reasonable price.
In this manner, you can easily surf the internet, use social media, or call WhatsApp while traveling without worrying about running out of data.
Furthermore, purchasing and activating the Holafly eSIM card is quick and uncomplicated, since you can do everything online in minutes without switching your traditional SIM card or waiting in line.
Overall, the Holafly eSIM card is a practical and cost-effective alternative for tourists in Greece and other EU countries who wish to be in constant contact with their loved ones.
FAQ about SIM cards in Greece
You can get Greek SIM card only with your passport. Visit a local vendor to acquire an actual SIM card in Greece. Greek SIM cards are available for purchase across the country, including major airports such as Athens International Airport.
Based on SIM card costs alone, no cell operator has an obvious advantage because they all sell them for almost the same price and use right.
Of course, some are better than others, but there is no cell provider in Greece that is so poor that you should avoid them at all costs.
However, there are certain advantages to using one cell provider over another. If you plan on visiting Greece, the best thing you can do is buy an eSim card.
- Holafly Excellent possibilities with a variety of limitless subscriptions, ideal for travelers searching for short-term and long-term accommodations across the world, particularly in the United States and Europe. (supported)
- Cosmote SIM Card Greece: Cosmote has the most extensive coverage map as well as the largest high-speed rates.
- Vodafone SIM Card Greece: Vodafone, Greece, is the most economical alternative for visitors to stay connected, although it does not have as much service in Greece. Before you buy, make sure it will function at your destination.
- Nova SIM Card Greece: Although this is the least popular and most costly option for Greek tourists, it is still worth considering if you want to compare plans or have limited options at your destination.
- Holafly: It provides the ease of having numerous mobile network profiles on a single device, removing the need for a physical SIM card and enabling smooth and quick network connection switching without the burden of manual SIM card replacements.
August 10, 2023
August 24, 2023